Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Helmet Appointment

Well, Malachi had his appointment at the facial-cranial clinic recently - to be evaluated for his irregular head shape. His head is slightly flatter on one side in the back.

Turns out it is a common occurance for babies who have their head "stuck" to one side in the womb, which he did. It also often goes along with a bent ear (from the womb position), which he had. When the baby's head is always to one side in the womb, then the opposite side's neck muscles get too tight. This is called Torticollis. Later when the baby is born, he never wants to turn his head to the "tight" side, always prefering the loose side he had in the womb. So, when they sleep on the preferred all the time, a flattened area occurs. Having a flattened part of your head is called plagiocephaly. There are many degrees of severity for "flattened head syndrome" and Malachi's is not very severe.

The specialist that we saw basically told us that it is really up to us if we want to persue helmet therapy or not. His is not a significant case where they would absolutely recommend therapy, nor is it so very mild that it isn't a consideration. In this photo, he is wearing a sample helmet. We have a big decision to make and we have to make it very soon. The treatment would be around 6 months. That's a long time. Malachi would wear the helmet for 23.5 hours a day... approximately. I'm just so afraid that it's going to be torturous for the little guy. Dan wants to go ahead with it for sure... he doesn't want our son, when he's a teen to be able to say that "my parents could have taken the steps to fix my head, but they took the easy way out because they thought it would be too difficult." Then again... many infant's heads fix themselves without treatment... but there is just no way to know for sure if Malachi's will. I'm thinking that we will go ahead with the helmet treatment, so that at least we know that we did what we could for the situation. Of course, I'll do what Dan desires and thinks is best... I'm just expressing my own concerns. Worries are more like it. :( I just don't want this next six months to be the loooongest and roughest they could be for something that isn't entirely necessary. Ugh. Who knows - maybe Malachi won't mind his helmet at all and it will be a win win for all. Yes - that's the ticket. I welcome your thoughts on this issue as well, friends.

9 comments:

Karilee said...

Wow, I had no idea that Malachi had this problem. If it were me, I think I'd have mixed feelings about it. It could prove to be inconvenient and difficult to deal with on a day to day basis. Yet, looking long term, like Dan mentioned, it seems like the right thing to do.
Hey, but since he's so young he may just go along with it just great, not realizing that its an inconvenience, like an older child might.
I'll be praying for you.
Keep us updated! :)

Tom and April said...

Jenny I think it would be a long and tedious task to keep up with but the end result will be worth. In all reality look how fast 6 months fly by and he is so young he won't remember it. I say go for it. Better to fix it while you can and do everything you can. You couldn't have a baby with a better personality for this, he is so content and happy. Malachi is just a sweet baby.

Garth and Becky said...

Benjamin was walking by my desk while I was reading this post and said, "Cool! Look at Malachi! He's going to play football!"

You already know my thoughts about the helmet...the long term good outweighs the short term inconvenience. And just think...you don't have to worry about him crawling around and hitting his head on something for 6 months. That helmet's going to protect him! ;-)

K.McKen. said...

Sounds like most everyone is in agreement! I'll join the group and say I definitely can see the benefits outweighing the disadvantages. Of course, I am not the one living with the little man 24/7 so it is pretty easy for me to say. You will be the one facing the disadvantages. But his smile in the picture with the helmet is just so sweet, maybe he won't have troubles? I'll be praying for him....and Mommy! ;)

Jenny said...

First I have to say that the picture of Malachi in that helmet is totally adorable. He seems like such a happy baby boy!

Second, I will tell you that one of the little boys I once nannied (sp?) for had this same problem, though I think more severe than Malachi. His parents did do the helmet, and though it was before I was there, they said he had no problems with it. They didn't say it hurt him or he cried with it or anything. I saw numerous pictures of him at the time with it on, and it did not look like it was hindering him at all. They also painted it for their favorite team I think, to make it more of a fun thing for him, though he was quite young. So, I agree that you should do it, but that is just my opinion. I think that especially since he is such a happy little tyke, he will probably be just fine with it, but I am no doctor or his mommy. :) Love you and will be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

I think all of these ladies have spoken words of wisdom. The long term is what we look toward in raising our children. We don't always enjoy the process, but we know that in the end, it will all be worth it. Six months will be gone in a blink of an eye, and then you'll be glad you did it and that it is all over! :o) I'll pray that he will not give any troubles for you! This could be a tiresome time but, it may not be!!

~Emily H.

The Browning Family said...

I think it wise to always count the cost of an action - however little or trivial it may seem. I also think it wise to count the cost of inaction. In this case, the cost of inaction outweighs the cost of action. That is how I would make this decision if I were in your shoes.
I hope that is helpful.

Lisa's Blessed A Latte said...

I bet Melachi will be so used to it, in no time it will feel so normal for him to have the helmet on. I remember when my Abigail had to start wearing a bite plate I thought she was never going to get used to it. Now when I let her take it out for a liitle break, she can't wait to put it back in.The first 72 hours of change are the hardest..Then its all down hill.....I will be praying for him...BTY...I really enjoyed your fellowship at Kristi's (((Hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
I agree with all the ladies so far.
Doing all you can for a possible good long term result is best.
You and your family are up for the challenge and when it gets hard know that the Lord and your friends will get you through this time. We love KY KY and your family too.
Will start praying today.
Jackie Harper