Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I'm thinking we have an allergy in the family!

This is what happened to Malachi after Keturah "peppered" him with her milk cup!! He was sitting happily in his walker and Keturah took her leaky cup and sprinkled it on her baby brother. I scolded/disciplined her, wiped the baby off and he went on being happy and playing. While he was sqealing and playing, we looked over and noticed he was all RED wherever the milk had touched him! Oh my! And where it had sat under his chin was starting to welt.






Poor little fella! The lady in the photo is sweet Mrs. Heilman who was over for a little sewing. She is the sweetest lady!!

So, I'm not sure what he's going to be drinking after weaning... I'll have to test his skin as he gets to be a toddler to see if he's still allergic.... we may have to look into soy and rice milk. I gave him a bath quickly and he looked fine after a few minutes.

11 comments:

The Casaus House said...

Oh my! Poor little Malachi! I would have panicked and probably overdosed him on Benadryl. I had something similar happen with a little boy I was babysitting because the mother forgot to tell me he was allergic to peanuts. He had one tiny bite of a Little Debbie brownie with chopped nuts and poor little guys lips were all swollen. Sorta scary.

Amanda said...

Poor Malachi!!! Who would have known? I am so suprised I don't think any of the Savage kids so far have had any allergies!

Karilee said...

Poor baby!
We've had milk allergy issues with Titus. He also would break out in a rash with contact to milk also. What was much worse, and something we didn't officially eliminate unti he was 18 months was his reaction when he drank milk in his cup after weaning. We're talking vicious diarrhea! The reason it was hard to diagnose was because he also was a horrible teether and had diarrhea whenever he was cutting teeth. grrrr. So, we're talking about lots of diapers! lol.
We chose to give him Rice Dream Enriched Rice Milk. They sell it by the case at Costco here, and its waaaaay cheaper than any other place. We opted to stay away from so because of the natural hormones that soy contains. Our pediatrician suggested some specially form REALLY EXPENSIVE milk alternative for toddlers, but we chose to ignore that and use the rice milk. It worked out great and he was just as healthy as ever.

Jenny said...

Oh no, poor little guy! He is so precious. I do have to say I love how Mrs.Heilman had to lift up his little double chin for the photo. How cute! Is he your chunkiest baby yet? What a cutie!

Hazel Eye Beauty said...

poor lil man! I bet that was scary! But, on a more positive note,, at least he didnt ingest it a later time, and his reaction was worse! Keep us informed on how he's doing! Did you give him benadryl? Did it disapate if so?

Jenny said...

Thanks guys! No, I didn't do any Benedryl, one because it didn't occur to me, and two because I try to not give any medications when they are so young. He is almost 5 months now... which is still pretty young. It DID dissapate after his bath. Thank you for your concern!

I am truly blessed said...

Oh no....poor little guy. Glad he is doing ok now though. Who would have ever known....but probably better that he got it spilled on him rather than finding out when he tried to drink a whole bottle or something. Yikes!!! So glad he is ok.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so glad Malachi is okay! that can be so scary! Allergic reactions can be so very serious!


~Emily H.

The Browning Family said...

OOHHHH - makes me wanna itch. Makes me think back to when I found out Chloe was allergic to wool - it happened so quickly. Within minutes of me picking her up from the nursery and holding her with my wool coat on she turned bright red and swell up. I immediately took off my coat and it got better. Sooo scary.
Make sure when the time comes that you research the soy vs. other milk stuff. As you know that soy stuff can be a little scary.
Talk to you soon.

Jenny said...

Yes, Charrissa! I don't plan on using Soy if at all possible. The last thing I want to do is fill my little boy baby with plant estrogens! I have researched the soy side of things and plan on avoiding it if at all possible. :)

Mrs. Pizo said...

Wow poor little man I am glad that he is all better. I haven't seen anyone react like that on their skin from milk. My Mom looks GREAT!