Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Snoqualmie Falls


A few weeks ago, when we had that really warm Saturday, we went to Snoqualmie Falls for a family day. We didn't know it was going to be such great weather, but it sure was a blessing. Keturah got to ride in the "new" baby backpack carrier that I had just picked up at that garage sale... it was awesome! We had a marvelous time.

I've already shared the funny story with a few of you of how I really wanted to take my kids down to the river at the bottom... which means a 1/2 mile hike downhill to get there....and I had "known" that Tom and Amanda with their children, plus Tommy, April and baby Faith had already made the trek a few weeks before... so I figured it mustn't be that bad. Besides, it's not my kids fault that I am eight months pregnant, why should they be deprived of a good time on account of me? SO.... we decide that it's DOABLE. Let's all make the trek! We had complete strangers telling us we were making a mistake going down there...but we thought...nah, we'll go slow, we'll be fine.

Well, it wasn't really that bad, REALLY. But as we got closer, jell-o legs began to set in more and more. It was becoming evident that the walk back up was going to be brutal for me.

When we got to the bottom, WHAT did we find? A parking lot full of cars for those wise and feeble who would rather drive to the river than take the hike. Oh had we known that. :( Oh well, it's great exercise! Dan got the van by himself when it was time to walk back and brought it to the parking lot where we were waiting. A great day.

But here's the THING. I talked to Amanda soon after and told her about how we went there and how I really had wanted to go to the bottom because it looked like so much fun when she and her kids did it..... and then she says, "What are you talking about?! WE didn't go down there!! Only Tom and Tommy did, we thought it might be too far for the kids and it was late in the afternoon... us ladies stayed at the TOP!"

What?!!??

"What!?!?! You are KIDDING me?! What photos of kids at the river did I see on your blog then?"

Turns out they were photos of the kids on some other rocks by some other water that I saw... they never went to the river at Snoqualmie Falls.... I held them in my mind for inspiration for NO REASON. LOL It's funny now. Wasn't as funny that day.



This is the lookout at the top of the walking trail where you can see the whole falls. I hated it up here...the cliff was so high and I hate being up high... there was nothing below the railing but rocks very far below.




This is from the bottom by the river.










I'm still glad the kids got to play by the river... even if it was hard to get down there being great with child.








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!! :):) That is awesome you did that. I would have just curled up in a ball and rolled on down. :)
Looks like you had a fantastic time. I have to say I am sad we never went there, but maybe we'll get another chance. It is beautiful!!

Amanda said...

So funny from my side!!!!!

The Browning Family said...

Funny story. We love going there. It is so beautiful and refreshing.

Tom and April said...

so funny...I am glad you guys ended up having a good time. You were just trying to get that baby out weren't you??????????????

Karilee said...

VERY FUNNY, Jen! Sounds like a wonderful family day. Such a fantastic and beautiful sight, ...sigh, makes me miss home. :)