Monday, June 16, 2008

The Kids Had a Blast!

One of the problems that always needs solving when we have a baby is...... what do we do with our children? We have had some great families watch our children for each of our births. It needs to be someone somewhat close because I can go very fast sometimes... so that excludes all family...and even many friends. But this sweet family was the perfect solution this time! They live close enough and have children the same ages as ours. She is also highly organized so I knew that she/they would be able to handle the task with ease. And they did!

She reported that it was amazing how fast they could all clean up the room together! She said it was awesome having twice the helpers... I bet it was neat to see it go from big fun mess to all picked up in 5 minutes!
So... it's been 1.5 weeks since Malachi came into our lives and we are adjusting well. His sleep periods are getting a little longer now, he even went from 1 am until 6 am last night...which is a pretty long span for his age. But during the day he still wants to eat about every 2 hours, with another longer sleep span somewhere in there. His baby acne has showed up now... all of my babies get baby acne pretty bad while the last of my hormones are leaving their body. The acne is caused the same way adolescent acne is... but it's transient because it will stop once mommy's hormones are all out. The fact that my babies get it so bad is probably an indication that they will struggle with adolescent acne when that time comes... so we'll see. I know Dan and I both had problems with it as young teenagers.
Oh my... this was so sad and hilarious at the same time.... Keturah got into so much trouble while the men (and older boys) were out of town... I missed having my big helpers so bad!! You couldn't even make up all of the trouble she got into. It was all while I was nursing the baby and couldn't just get up and take care of it. A few examples of her mischief: Playing in the toilet because Isaiah left the lid open and the door open, she poured an entire bottle of eye makeup remover over head and over 2 DVD cases, she unloaded her clothing drawers and her tights box, played with computer mouse and opened various windows, spilled an entire box of lancets (little pokers for your finger for testing your blood), she got into the baby's new diaper bad over 15 times and then learned to climb atop the kitchen table the same weekend...and did it probably 20 times. She can get up there but not get down (of course)... so she just plays in the napkins tossing them around and in my flowers. All while I'm trying to nurse the new baby. :( I don't know how you do it Cindee, these are my two closest!!! FINALLY... you want to know what I did?! I loosened the straps in Malachi's infant seat and in she went! I strapped her into that carseat and she got to watch some Tom and Jerry against her will. Ha! As I said above, it was sad AND hilarious all of the trouble she got into... you couldn't make that stuff up.

6 comments:

The Browning Family said...

Looks like the kids had a blast. I am so glad that it all worked out. It is good to have good friends.
Keturah must have also had a blast while no one could stop her from exploring. No brothers, and Mom busy makes for the perfect environment to get into mischief. I sooo no what that is all about. Ellie has certainly taken me down that path of craziness. ie: oatmeal mess, toilet splashing, movies all a mess . . . etc, etc.

Amanda said...

Wow! Suddenly I am remembering how Rebecca was with Austin! I love the car seat idea very inventive!!! If only I could get Austin into one of those.... no I am just kidding. Have a great day!

The Casaus House said...

Strapping them in the car seat works wonders! You'll get very inventive, I'm sure. Your post was quite funny though probably very frustrating for you when all this was happening. I know it's coming in about 9 more weeks for me. Good thing God doesn't run out of grace and a blessing to see he gives us more grace each child we have. I'm so feeling like I don't know how I'll do it with 4 kids or how I'll ever go anywhere but God............ So you're saying how does Cindee do it but I'm saying how does Jenny and Charrissa do it? :)

Karilee said...

I can TOTALLY identify with your situation! Many times of much craziness, just wait until you add potty training... Why do they ALWAYS have to "GO" when I'm nursing??!!
Times like these are what we'll miss when we're old and gray!!
God gives us his wonderful grace, praise the Lord!

I am truly blessed said...

I am right there with you my friend. It definitely is a challenge some days having children so close together in age...but I wouldnt trade it for anything. The only thing I would love to have is......more than 3 hours of straight sleep. LOL!!!

Jenny said...

Okay, that was HILARIOUS!! Perfect solution! That little bit isn't the smallest anymore, which certainly frees her for more mischief, huh? I miss you guys and baby Turah. I am glad to hear that you are adjusting well, if it is a bit rough at first. I know in the end you'll come out with flying colors, Jenny. After all, God thinks you can do it, and if I recall correctly, He's NEVER wrong. ;) Love you!