Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Turah had some shingles this week


I didn't take this photo, but it is exactly what her rash looked like. She had it on her chest and the corresponding area on her back. We didn't go to the doctor because I knew what it was and somewhat expected it at some point. When a child gets chicken pox at a young age, they often don't get a strong case of them because of the mother's immunity in the milk. Keturah got them at 2 months old, you can see her with them in the photos below. She only had about 5 total lesions...which was a blessing because she didn't get it SO bad as a small infant, but it was also bad because she didn't get a strong case of it. I was pretty sure then that she would get childhood shingles (which is different than adult shingles which is very bad and painful). I don't know if this means that she will get shingles as an adult yet or not, I hope not.



Sooo, that's why I wasn't at church on Sunday night. I went Sunday morning and just held her on my lap, but she wanted to talk about all kinds of things. About Daddy up front, about my earrings, her earrings my necklace and so on. She would be quiet when I asked her, but only for a few minutes. Then I gave her some orange tic-tacs one at a time...which she promptly and LOUDLY would chew up with her molars causing all around us to turn around and see who would be eating rocks during church. At home that afternoon when it was discovered that I didn't hear one bit of the message and didn't know what it was about, Dan thought it best that I might as well stay home and keep the distraction at home for now.
Whenever the lesions are open, she is contagious by TOUCH for chicken pox. So, it's not airborne like the normal varicella virus. They were almost all scabbed over on Sunday, and they are much better today. I know that I will be able to go to church on Wednesday. I am praying that Malachi won't get it at 7-8 weeks just like she did... so we'll see. I'd rather he get it when he's a bit older and can get a strong enough case of it to build a great immunity. Oh, how I hate missing church...but such are the sacrifices of a parent. I praise the Lord for my children and the opportunities to sacrifice for them.

5 comments:

The Casaus House said...

I wondered about you on Sunday night. I'm glad to know everything's okay and Turah's healing up. My kids have yet to get chicken pox. Every time someone else has them that I can expose them to, I'm pregnant and not supposed to be exposed myself. Is Malachi already 2 months?! Wow, how quickly time flies! I remember when you had him I felt like I had FOREVER to go in the pregnancy but now its almost here!

Karilee said...

ooh, I'm glad to hear that children's shingles are not like adults! My kids haven't had "the pox" yet, and I wish they would get it over with! I wish we were there so we could try and catch it from you! :)

Mrs. Pizo said...

I am so sorry to hear that she has a shingles. I hope that she is feeling better soon. Even with the chicken pox she sure was a cute baby!

new*me said...

your family is beautiful! I love your blog and will be back to visit. I know what you mean about nursing giving you a huge appetite. I nursed my son and daughter for almost a year and a half but was only able to keep up with the twins for about 4 months. I would even eat in the middle of the night when they got up to nurse. Then I stopped nursing, and the weight goes gravitated to me. If you can combine nursing with healthy eating and exercise, you'll have one super weight loss plan right there ;) God Bless

Jenny said...

Oh the poor sweetie. It makes me smile to hear about how chatty she is now. You are such a prepared mommy that this obviously was no surprise to you. I hope she is doing better, and that Malachi doesn't get it as well. I miss you guys!