Monday, April 17, 2006

I did it! I made an Easter Dress!!

I still can't believe that I pulled it off....I guess a little part of me expected it to not come out at all. But I probably still would have worn it, I'm not about to waste something that took me THAT long! LOL! I would say that it took me twice as long as I thought it would. I really thought that I would be done with it on Friday....that I would start it and finish it on Friday. But add kids and meals into the mix and I couldn't make it happen. So, it also took me about half of Saturday. I wasn't even intending on making a dress this year until after church on Wednesday.....my Pastor's wife had just gone out and bought material to make dresses for her 4 girls, and she was planning on doing most of it on Friday. I thought ......"Well, if she can make 4 on Friday, surely I can make 1!" Right?? I went to Jo Anns and found no material in the price range I wanted so I decided to use some that I already had. The dress called for a LOT of material and I was so glad that I had enough. It's a maternity dress with pleats in the front that expand, it's just what I wanted! The pretty pleats are my favorite part. I bought this pattern when I was expecting Isaiah but never got around to making a dress, only shirts. I'm so pleased with the outcome, praise the Lord! The material fades to a darker color towards the bottom, which made it quite difficult to cut out. But Joy helped me figure out the best way. I really think the hardest part was figuring out how to turn those silly ties right side out!!!! I was on the phone with my mom for like half an hour as she tried to explain to me how to use a safety pin on the end and shove it through. Finally I got it and it worked out. It was so funny, I was so afraid all Sunday to sit on my own seams that I had sewn. I guess I was afraid that they would give way at any minute leaving the skirt behind! Thankfully, it did all stay together. I plan to make a navy jumper of the same style this week.

In other news, Josiah lost his front tooth on Friday! It's his third tooth to lose, a top incisor. It had been loose for awhile and I finally yanked it. There was minimal crying and screaming. Now he talks soooo funny! He can't say his "S" words very well because the seal is broken and the air leaks out! It's so cute, it cracks Dan up. He tries to sing the song "Obedience", and it must have a lot of "s"s in it because it's hilarious. I wonder how long the new tooth takes to come down?

We had a wonderful resurrection Sunday! I was so delighted to see my friend Sarah come again, and this time she brought her husband and another couple! Praise the Lord! They said that they like the church, I'm so very glad. Sarah is even going on ladies retreat! I'm so excited! It's sure to be fun. The choir sang two cantata songs in the morning and 2 in the evening, and they went so well. I must say, I'm so proud of Dan, I think he's doing a fine job, and I'm not just saying that because I'm his wife. The morning songs were the best, it made me cry and Joy have goose bumps all over. I so love choir.

After the morning service, we went to Joy's house along with the Potvins and the Dixons...we were actually an afterthought, she was having over some ladies whose husbands are out to sea. When she heard that we had to plans, being the dear friend that she is, she urged us to come too, even though Dan would be the only man. It all worked out awesome though, because Dan had the Potvin boys and Ryan Dixon set up the tables, set the tables, unload the chairs and just work! Then after we all ate, he put them to work again! He had them wash all the dishes by hand and vacuum! Joy was so pleased that he was there to direct those young men to be helpful.

We went out to dinner at Olive Garden tonight, that's my favorite restaurant. We also took the boys to the park for along time and played ball and tag. Josiah was convinced that Daddy couldn't catch him....but Daddy totally did. Gabriel was his usual daredevil self, climbing to the highest bar possible while calling out, "Don't be scared mom, I won't fall!" He did fall twice, but he's such a rough and tumble guy, he's just gets back up. It was so fun to all be together like that. The reason that we could is because Dan is going on a business trip for 4 days tomorrow to KC Missouri. It's for Circuit City, for the managers of the technology department.....I think it's an expo for imaging and mp3 players. He leaves tonight at 3 am for the "air porter" bus stop. We'll miss him tons, and I hate being home alone. So, I plan on going over to Joy's after church on Wednesday and staying with her to "play" until Friday. My birthday is also Friday, I'll be 30! Gasp. Still can't believe how fast time goes. While at Joy's I plan to make a jumper, I want to make a navy one and I'm hoping to find material at Jo Anns tomorrow for that. Well, I feel like I'm no longer making sense, so I better go to bed. Gotta get up in 3 and a half hours. Night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) I love your dress! You can make me one now right?? j/k. :) I love it! I am glad you had a good time here. I am DELIGHTED that you came! It wouldn't have been the same without you. ;)
LOVE YA!!

Anonymous said...

HAHA!!! Go to bed? What are you talking about...... you never went to bed, and you kept us up half the night with you! JK Enjoyed talking with you!
Nice dress, too. I can't make anything in a day - need more practice. Think my mom's gonna give me sewing lessons this summer. Yeah!

Karilee said...

Your dress looks so pretty!! I'm so proud of you! Didn't you take a picture of yourself in it?? I want to see YOU in it, not the back of your door!! :) Sounds like you had a nice day Sunday, it's so nice to have friends that feel like family to spend special times with. Isn't it great to be a part of God's family?!!
Tell Josiah that Sophia says that he still looks like happy Josiah even without his tooth.