Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Two New Little Treasures in Our Home



Here is our first little treasure. A kitten that we gave Isaiah for his birthday. His birthday isn't for about a month, but the kittens were ready now. He is so sweet and so much fun to watch! He and our adult cat, Misty, play for hours - wrestling around on the floor together. They pounce on each other and plan sneak attacks. It's sooo funny! We're so glad that they get along well and enjoy each other.


PS - Why do I mark some of my photos with my logo? Because there are COUNTLESS image stealers out there that copy photos and post them as their own work onto photography forums. I don't claim that my photos are good, but too many of my photog friends have had their work stolen and used. This just poses a tiny hurdle in the stealing. Yes, it could still be stolen and cropped... but at least it's something. :)






We love his eyes! He just "looks" like a boy - to us! I think Ike may have settled on a name - Maximus.... since Dan won't let me name our next son that. LOL! I thought it sounded cool, MAXIMUS Savage! Okay, stop laughing at me now. I'm mostly kidding. Other names the kitten has had since Sunday: Gunpowder, Scout, Ranger, Tiger, Tigger, Barky (my choice)... and Tai Lung.




One very happy, soon to be six year old.




My second little treasure.... and my husband thinks I'm silly... but to each his own..... is this ancient Roman coin. I love all things old, and the older the better! I am so intrigued by ancient buildings, castles, stones that were placed over 1,000 years ago. LOVE it. Maybe ancient is the wrong word I just realized... but OLD nonetheless. They were selling OLD Roman coins at the Viking Village at Viking Fest - and for a reasonable price too, since I guess they are all too common?? That surprised me. SO many coins were created with different Ceasars and Officials printed on them... and hoards are found all the time. So, although it's dollar value is small... to own something that was used for money in Roman times... WOW!! Just imagine, this coin was around during New Testament Bible times, probably!! Traded among men who wore sandals and robes, armies who fought by the sword and shield. JUST amazing to me!! But not so much to others. So, this is my new little treasure... and I just love it. Can you see the face on this side? It's made from copper or brass, I'm not sure which.


Here is the other side... I included a super contrasted photo below. Can you see the warrior figure? There is Roman numerals and letters on this side also, but it's at the top and not very visible at this angle. Those are our 2 new, little treasures. :)











11 comments:

Mcarthur Mile said...

Wow, the coin is so very awesome!!!Can you just imagine the hands that it has touched. And for the kitty he is so cute, and of course Maxx loves his name!!! He is so into himself that he names all of his animals Maxx.

Goetsch Family, Jr. said...

Seeing your amazing photos just reminds me of the wasted opportunity to learn photography from you!!!!
Love the pictures.

Amanda said...

Your new kitty is sooo cute! I think your coin is pretty neat!

Jenny said...

Mary - that is so funny that Maxx names his animals Maxx!! LOL!
April - You are too kind. I too think very often of how we both missed opportunities to learn from each other! I was really looking forward to "finding my soprano voice", if such a thing exists. LOL! They tell me it does, with training... but I suspect they're lying. :)
Amanda - Thanks! I think the coin is so neat too!

Walking With Christ said...

I totally get the Logo on your photography thing. You are prob one of the BEST photographers I actually KNOW. I LOVE seeing your great work, and the pictures of the cat.. AWESOME! You do an awesome job. It almost looks like it was taken outside, but then I look at the focused part, and it's carpet. REALLY COOL! And, the coin, I think its awesome that you collect old things. It's really cool! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Jeanné said...

I used to not like 'older' things..but I LOVE history..movies..the Local Forts around this area..museums!! so Cool! That is a great idea about putting a logo on photos..mine are not that good..compaired to yours but...maybe i should look at doing something like that!

Karilee said...

Okay, first of all, that coin is VERY cool!! I love things like that too and even though my resident spoiler tries to tell me that things like that are just fakes made in China, I don't care! :)
Your kittys are very cute...I'm in a kitty OPPOSED family, so I can only admire yours. I grew up with a kitty as a pet, but Brian is of the opinion that they are Eagle fodder!

As for your GORGEOUS photos... I totally understand why you put your logo on them, BUT that raises a couple questions I just have to ask...
Do you use a batch process to put a logo on all of your photos from a certain shoot or do you add it individually?
What program did you use to design your own logo?
Would you design me a logo if I could ever come up with an appropriate title?
Do you use a copyright release form?
Whoa, okay, I just thought of a million more, so I better just shoot you an email and not take up all of your commenting space!!
Love your photos...as always! You're the bomb!!
:) love ya!

Jenny said...

Hi Karilee! You're so funny, as always. :) I HOPE my coin isn't a fake!! :/ I'm going to have to look into that now. The lady has a shop in Tacoma and told me all about the process she has to use to get the ball of coins apart after they're found in a horde... sigh, I hope it's real! lol

Photos... I don't do them as a batch. I wrote an action that puts my logo on, resizes it and puts it into the corner. I then move it to which corner I want. I don't want the logo going into the exact same corne of every photo, I want to control where it goes. So, it's a fast process: save the original photo, run the action, move the logo, resave photo with new name. Hope that makes sense.

I designed the logo with Photoshop. I found "free" online, copyable pretty symbols, such as fleur de lis' and swirl designs. I used the magic wand tool, stroke tool and such to highlight the areas I was interested in using... and all of a sudden my swirls seemed to resemble the S and P of Savage photography! Whoa! So, I started following that path and made it so. What do you think of it? Is it too unclear that the swirls are the letters S and P? I've often wondered that.

Copyright release form. Do you mean did I use one for my swirl symbol... or do I use one for my clients? I didn't use one for the swirlies, I made absolutely certain that it was a free, usable graphic... it was painstakingly troublesome to do so. LOL At one point I gave up and just scanned one of my own designs in, but it didn't work as well. I was hoping for a flower graphic... but the swirlies are generic enough to not be anyone's design. I need to design one by hand, I suppose, if I want a little flower graphic. For my clients, I don't use a form yet... but we talk about copyrights and how the author is the owner, etc. Forms will be used eventually though.

Design you one? Oh dear... I dunno... I almost died trying to make mine. LOL! But I could try! It's just complicated because of the need for a clear background, etc. I followed a tutorial online to make mine. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Anonymous said...

That IS outside, isn't it?? I was sure it looked like gravel (sorta looks like carpet), but looks like green trees or bushes in the background. I'm curious!??
RH

Anonymous said...

PS - That first kitty photo looks like it could be made into a puzzle. I've been putting together a few jigsaw puzzles recently, and that one looks like it would be really fun/pretty! RH

Jenny said...

RH - Yes, it actually was outside. It was taken on our sidewalk outside. It's the kind with the little pebbles set into concrete. :) A puzzle... that is a really good idea! The kids would love a puzzle of their own precious kitty... I might look into that.