Wednesday, July 01, 2009

An Amazing Verse

I read an amazing verse in my Bible this morning, and it just spoke to me! You know how that happens... you're just reading along and it's like.... WOW.

I must add, I don't usually write a lot about spiritual things on my blog, even though it's an enormous part of our life. The reason is only because I had chosen to use my blog as a "Savage Family Update" place - mostly just for sharing what we're up to... rather than using it as a soapbox, a venting spot (I sooo hate that), a biblical teaching spot, political platform (another of my hates) etc etc etc. I have a variety of readers, family and friends - and I hate to get controversial. I have usually just kept it to sharing my photos, and sharing our family adventures. I may begin to share more about spiritual things... especially if it can be an encouragement to others.

But I had to share this verse! Here it is:
Pro 15:15 All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.

Isn't that wonderful?! The perfect verse for the "Poor me" attitude versus the "Thankful" attitude! I love reading it over and over. See, if we choose to be "afflicted"... like, "poor me", "nothing goes my way", "nobody likes me", "I'm always a failure", "I'm not very pretty", "I don't like my house"....we are choosing to be afflicted.... and what happens?? Our days are evil! NOT because our days are actually evil, but because we have a poor outlook on them. All things go wrong for us, if we are afflicted! The kids are bad! The house is bad! The chores are evil! The husband is mean! The bills are high! But what if we have a merry heart?? Oh my... our days are a continual feast, the Bible says!! Each day like like being at a feast! A feast is filled with exciting little choices and opportunities... so much quantity and quality to be thankful for! A merry heart sees the chores as an opportunity to serve the Lord by serving her family. A merry heart sees the grumpy husband and has compassion on him, knowing he carries more burdens than we do and shows him grace and contentment. A merry heart sees the bad kids and is thankful for the Lord blessing her with children to raise for Him... many barren women would give anything for even one "bad" kid. You get the picture. I just was blessed by this verse this morning.... and I wanted to write about it. I may begin to share more spiritual things as time goes on. :)

9 comments:

Joy said...

:) Thank you Jenny! I NEEDED that!!! :):):)

Tom and April said...

I think it is great to share spiritual things that touch your life. I enjoy it and it always makes me "think on these things." And who knows who is reading-it may touch their lives too. I, also, rarely share spiritual things but mainly b/c I am more personal person and I want to say and write things in the right words, and for me I am not so eloquent with words :) I am more straight to the point..haha...well thanks for sharing this truth with us.

Karilee said...

Thanks for sharing!
That IS a great verse!
I enjoy it when you share "personal spiritual" things...if that makes sense. It's not like your soap box or being preachy when you're writing because of the outflow of your heart!! It can be (depending on the focus of your blog, that is) preachy and soap box like when people premeditate about what scripture to "encourage" others about.
That's just my 2 cents.
Then again, I think I rant on my blog, so who am I to judge?? lol!! :)
All that aside....
thanks again for sharing the verse.

Lisa's Blessed A Latte said...

Great verse...I just love it when a verse really hits home...this one did...Thank You Jenny!

Unknown said...

Hi, Jenny, this is Rachel(Watkins)Bueckert. Thanks for sharing that verse; I actually had a little issue I was dealing with concerning a friend this very minute and was feeling sorry for myself. Then I opened up your blog and it was like God said, "See there? Stop it right now." And I did. Thanks for sharing!Rachel

Unknown said...

Hi, Jenny, this is Rachel again, I just wanted to stick a comment on here that had my picture on it because I thought it was cool that everyone else had one, too. :)

Unknown said...

Okay, that did not work...hmmm...I wonder how the others did that?...Rachel

Jenny said...

Awww.... Joy... I love you... hope you're doing great. Saw that you called, so sorry I wasn't here. I'll try to call you real soon. Miss you so much.

Rachel! Hello! And congratulations on your new precious blessing!! I'm so sorry that I never got a chance to write back to your email!! I'm so glad you stopped by! The reason that some people have their photo by their name is because they have a blogger profile for their blog, and that is their blogger profile photo.... if that makes sense. Do you have a blog?! I would LOVE to read it! Just let me know!

Unknown said...

No, I don't have a blog. I don't even have any idea how to get a blog or put pictures on it. It would be kind of a nice way to keep up with people wouldn't it? :)