With my tacos.....no, I didn't make my own beans this time, that takes planning! And planning I didn't do. Actually, Joy had bought a TON of food for us during this time that I'm watching her children (we're talking more than I've ever had in my home at one time!), and one of the things she bought was a 6 pack of refried beans from Costco. She wanted all the meal preparation to be as easy for me as possible, since a lot is involved in feeding 6 children 3 times a day. The tacos turned out great, I will just need to make MORE beef next time.
The other things that I grew/planted this year include: Dahlia bulbs (some are in bloom now), blueberry bushes, gladiolas, a cyclamen plant, some large annual pots that include petunias (my fav), snapdragons and marigolds, and a voilet plant that my neighbor dug up and gave me (she has tons), but it's not done well....it died. Not all of my dahlias came up, but many of the tubers are old and have been transplanted many times. The ones that did come up are doing great. I also have some of the largest mums I have ever seen, they survived from last year and came back HUGE. They are so large that they are tipping themselves over. I have 2 large cherry tomato plants, but they have become so large that they are more like one big tomato forest. I can no longer tell where one starts and the other begins, even though I thought I spaced them properly. The red one had pulled out it's own tomato cage 3 times and tipped itself over, causing Dan and I to get a tool and pound the cage back into the ground and hope it stays this time. I'm so excited to have so many fruit to share with people at church.
I guess that answers the comment questions....I'll work on my new post now. :)
Thursday, August 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
We just stopped at our garden on the way home from church tonight and picked a bunch of vegetables that were ready, mostly peas and beans, some cherry tomatoes and baby carrots and zucchini. Shared some with family also. So neat to see how things grow - everything was so huge!
What a busy time you're having! I'm all for ease and convenience when it comes to making meals for lots of hungry people! I wouldn't make a very good pioneer. All of your crops sound nice. I'm kicking myself for not doing more this year!
Post a Comment