Whew, it's been awhile since I've posted because I've had a crazy week! We've had our 40th anniversary Bible conference this week, so that alone makes the days crazy. Then Gabriel went and did this, causing a late night hospital run. Here's what he "says" happened:First, I was grading papers at the kitchen table, and Dan was steam cleaning rugs in the bathroom one late night after church (we're trying to grab hold of this new concept for us of using every minute of our day "on purpose". Not letting it just be wasted. That's why we were doing those things at like.... 10:30 at night.)
So, Gabriel says he was making pillow fort on our bed and he "rolled" off. We're not sure if he jumped, fell or rolled off but he somehow landed on the floor screaming. We tried to examine it, see if it could bend, see if it was nursemaid's elbow since he's had that before and they taught us how to fix it ourselves.....but it was hard for him to calm down. We also tried tempting him with his very favorite pasttimes to see if he would start using his arm, but he still couldn't. We knew we had to go to the ER.
At the emergency room, we got right in and they x-rayed the hurt limb. I couldn't be in the room, of course, since I'm expecting so a nice nurse held him on her lap while they took the picture. I heard him crying toward the end of it, so it must have been uncomfortable. A doctor viewed his x-ray and came back to tell us that he chipped the top of his radius. The radius is the bone in the top of the faorearm, and he chipped it up near the elbow. I'm thankful that he didn't chip the actual elbow, that can never heal. I'm also thankful that there was no "shattering" of bone, or a clean break all the way through. A small bone chip isn't so bad. And it's not the kind that's floating around, it's still right there at the radius.
So, a tech came in and prepared his bandages. The doctor said that they were going to put a splint on it to immobilize it so that the bone chip could grow back on. They made a fiberglass splint the shape of his arm and elbow and wrapped it all in an ace bandage. Then they didn't have a pediatric arm sling and a size small would have been too big, so they gave us a pediatric shoulder immobilizer that they rigged to be an arm sling. Our orders are to not get it wet, keep the sling on if up and walking, and call our pediatrician and/or an orthopedic doctor (they gave us a referral) in a week. They will then read the x-rays and decide if we need a cast, or just keep the splint. Hopefully the ortho-guy will have a pediatric arm sling!! That thing he has now is SOO annoying!
So, that's our little drama for the week. I'm always telling my friend Karilee that she get's all the drama and nothing interesting ever happens to us. Well, after a veeerrrryyy long and interesting week, I think I prefer the boring life. :)
Tomorrow is our 40th anniversary service, we will have a HUGE potluck and an afternoon service tomorrow. It should be a fun day! My job is to take pictures of it all. Hope they're not epecting any amazing indoor shots!
I also included a picture of the blue dress that I made. Again, it's on the back of the door! I will be wearing my purple one tomorrow, hopefully I'll get my picture taken in it. This time, with this dress, I made those pretty bell-like
sleeves. They are full sleeves that hang beautifully on the arm. It was SOOOO hard to figure out how to do it, but we finally got it done. I love the color of this dress, and the cutest part is how many people think it's store bought and ask me where I'm finding maternity dresses like this. I have to tell them that I made it, to which they say, "I didn't know you could sew!" And then I say, "I didn't either until I tried". This dress' zipper came out much better than the last, it's so much easier if you follow the zipper package directions, and not the dumb pattern's directions. Oh, and you know what the best part is??? I bought the fabric for $1 a yard at Walmart! LOL!! Wait...... I hope I didn't already say that in the other post about this dress....oh well. So, the dress, with all it's pleats cost $6 or $7 including the zipper, not taking into account my time. Ha ha. Let's hope the saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply to this.



1 comment:
I agree! Poor little man but he sure seems to be a trooper. (At least what I got to see of him on Friday night) I also agree with Sarah about your dresses although I can't entirely since I have yet to see them on, but wait...let me close my eyes...awwwe yes you look so beautiful in my imagination! and that must count for something. ;)
Post a Comment