Friday, December 22, 2006

UGH! We have the pox!


Isaiah contracted the chicken pox somehow and we're not entirely sure from where, but possibly from Gabriel. Gabriel has already had the chicken pox, but he had it at 6 months old, making him more susceptible to childhood shingles, so some say. I'm not totally sure Gabriel's odd rash was shingles, but next doctor's check up, I'll ask about it. They sure did itch him a lot. We opt out of getting the varicella vaccination, we would rather have the child just get that disease. The immunization only has a 80% success rate anyway, but usually getting chicken pox as a child over 1 makes you immune for life. Yes, there are those that got it multiple times, but that's not the norm. I am glad Isaiah is getting it now at 2 and getting it out of the way. It's funny, in the past people would host huge "pox parties" so that all of their children could be exposed and develop the disease. I think most of the complications arising from chicken pox are secondary skin infections from a lesion, or pnemonia in the elderly. Most of the deaths are all in adults too. I'm so thankful that Isaiah hasn't been itchy! I had a plan to help him deal with the the itching, but I haven't had to do anything! He doesn't scratch them, and I offer to rub his back a little to kinda itch them for him, but he just says it hurts. Maybe that's just how they are affecting him.

Poor Gabriel, I hope he doesn't have to battle with shingles his whole life...I'm still hoping his rash was a fast bout with a fungus instead. Keturah should be immune from both my milk and even more from antibodies passed in the womb. I'm praying she won't get it at 2 months old.

Well, this Christmas has been crazy for me....still behind on getting things wrapped, finishing up projects. I know it will all get done in time, I just wish it were done last week so I could play more with my children right now.

I've been feeling pretty down lately, not getting to go to church last Sunday or Wednesday because of Isaiah's chicken pox....pretty much just staying home. I've been out grocery shopping and such, but that's not the same as church. I had a little holiday dress for Keturah to wear... and cards to pass out... just all of the things that go along with this time of year. I doubt I'll be able to go on Christmas Eve either, he may still be contagious, and that is VERY dangerous for pregnant mothers who have not had the disease. So......sigh....thus is life, these things happen, I know. God had it all planned, and I will try hard to be joyful about it. :) It's just not like me to feel down. I'm sure it's just the busy-ness of the holidays, a sick child and a newborn. Bah Humbug. (Huge grin)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your disappointments - I don't like it, either, when fun plans have to be changed during the holidays. I've tried exposing my daughter to chicken pox several times, but it has never worked - she still has not gotten chicken pox. I hope she doesn't have to wait until she's an adult - I heard it's worse then. :(

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jenny! I am so glad that Isaiah is almost done with his chicken pox...it will be great to be able to get back into the regular weekly schedule with you. I know that you have missed being at church lately and that you can't wait to go back. Have a great day! Love, Dan

Anonymous said...

What a sweet husband!