Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mums and tomatoes EVERYWHERE!

I can't believe how huge these returning mums got this year! Not to mention my ginormous tomato plants! We had to stick the cages back in the ground numerous times after the tomatoes had pulled them up. We bought the biggest ones we could find, and anchored them as deep as possible. I guess we weren't there fast enough to raise up the growing branches. You can see in my picture how the plant is all toppled over. But that didn't stop the fruit from coming. I've got tomatoes coming out my ears.

The mums were here last year when we bought the home, but they were small and new then. I'm sure they were planted just for the selling of the house. I didn't know if they were going to bloom again or not, they just kept getting bigger throughout the year. Then, all of a sudden, there were pinkish purple flowers everywhere! They are still in bloom, and it seems like they have been for awhile. Maybe they die at the first frost? They even got so heavy that the plants feel open in the middle and kind of toppled over even before they bloomed. I think only one of them actually kept their shape. Had I known they would be so pretty, I would have staked and twined them.

Well, less than 2 weeks officially until this baby is due. Too bad the chances are high that it will be longer than that. **sigh** My pelvis has been so sore lately, seemingly more than the other times. Turning over in bed is misery. Hopefully this all means I'm getting close. We still don't know what the gender is! Despite my best efforts to cheat! :D I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks to verify that the head was down, the est. size and the fluid level. I asked the sonographer to point their scope between the legs and let me take a look. She said it was impossible to see, the legs are all folded up and you just can't tell. I just KNOW she's lying. Oh well. I'm sure she's just following some sonographer protocol for when crazy third trimester moms change their mind and want to know the gender after all. They are probably taught to NOT tell, no matter what. Who knows. I guess the surprise will be that much more fun. Hmmmph. :)

I've been feeling generally good, all except yesterday. I had such a bad headache, I couldn't do anything to get rid of it yesterday. Even in the night last night when I would wake, I still had it. But praise God by morning it was gone. I stayed home with the boys last night from church. The only one that would have made sense to go with daddy would have been Josiah, but he's the one who takes care of me when I'm sick. Seriously. He brings me water, a tissue, the phone, Isaiah, a paddle, food. He's just the guy I need around when I have a migraine. He also watches the other boys, which is an enormous help. I reward him later with special privileges. It works out great for all. Well, I have cinnamon rolls coming out of the oven and a roast which I fear will not be done until much too late tonight, so I better tend them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jenny! This is racheldawn(Rachel Watkins). I couldn't remember my password, so had to go anonymous. I haven't posted a comment in quite awhile. But I read every week. Those pictures of chrysanthemums and tomatoes are beautiful. The flower for my birth month is chrysanthemum, and I've never cared for them--but the ones in your yard are BEAUTIFUL! And so very colorful. Best wishes on your last few weeks of pregnancy. Can't wait to see your post after he/she is born, and find out the surprise of what you're having! :)

Karilee said...

Wowee!! Great job Mrs. Green thumb! Your flowers are beautiful even if you didn't plant them. What a blessing to have them come back so wonderfully!
Your tomatoes look so yummy, I wish I had some. It was 40 degrees here today and yesterday we had a smattering of snow. Ho-hum, such is life in Ohio.
**** Can't wait to see that new little wonder! Wish I could be there in your final stages of feeling like a house. :)